July 30, 2008

Breakfast, 10:30 a.m.

Peanut butter on wheat bread, and a handful cherries.

Lunch, 1:30 p.m.

Leftover turkey chili.

Snack, 4:30 p.m.

Jon's mom calls this "breakaway bread." Jon spent a few days in
Valdez with his family this weekend, and his mom sent a loaf of
bread back with him. (The cherries, too.) The bread is sweet,
and buttery, and yummy. We don't have a microwave
anymore, so this is Jon puttingthe bread on a cookie sheet to
reheat it in the oven -- because you have to eat homemade bread
warm. There's just no choice in the matter.

Dinner, 6:30 p.m.

My friend Leslie and her husband Thomas and daughter Kyra (who
are also friends; I don't mean to imply that they aren't) took me out
for one last dinner at Villa Nova, my new favorite Anchorage Italian
restaurant. This is "Ravioli alla Rosa" -- cheese ravioli stuffed with
spinach, and topped with spinach and both fresh and sun-dried
tomatoes. I ate all of the tomatoes, and only some of the spianch. The
sauce is a tomato wine...and yes, cream, but not as heavy a cream as,
say, an alfredo.

Snack, 11:45 p.m.

There was half a pint of Imagine Whirled Peace Ben & Jerry's in
the freezer, and it had been there for weeks...Jon decided he didn't
really like it. He told me I could eat it, and I have to say...it's
certainly not my favorite ice-cream flavor. Still, I savored it since
it was honest to god ice-cream, with milk -- not sorbet, not frozen
yogurt.

No comments: