June 25, 2008

I would like to break from the photo essay-style posts to write some prose. Several of you have commented (either on the blog or in conversation) about my propensity for dry cereal. Carbs are almost always mentioned in these comments. Unfortunately, this concern is something I simply don't understand. If I put milk on my Cheerios, wouldn't I still be eating just as many carbs? Nutritionally speaking, I don't understand the difference between eating it dry and eating it with milk. Does dairy work some magic dietary juju to counteract the carbs?

My theory of eating is pretty simple: if it tastes good, I will put it in my mouth. If it doesn't, I won't. I realize this is a poor theory to operate on, from a health standpoint, but the nuances of nutrition were absent from my upbringing. At my house we ate what Big Lare liked, and I think most of you are familiar enough with my father's physique that you can imagine what I was raised on. We did not eat broccoli. We drowned our corn in butter and salt. We put cheese on everything. My taste buds simply do not like the things that they should -- like spinach and tofu and reduced fat microwave popcorn that tastes suspiciously like rice cakes. I like fat, I like preservatives, I like sugar. Plain and simple.

Also, I am the most stubborn person in the world, even when it comes to things I haven't been doing for my entire life. I don't change anything for anybody, so this eating business is particularly sticky. I have been eating one certain way for 26 years -- well, at least since my parents started feeding me solid foods -- and I'm accustomed to it. I find routine comforting; constancy could be my religion.

Actually, I think that the story of my first non-milk food is an apt symbol here. The first thing my parents fed me was strained carrots. There is video footage of this incident. I spit the carrots at my mother, I spit the carrots onto my highchair, I spit the carrots onto the floor, and I puked up the carrots they did manage to get me to swallow. I cried and screamed and cried and cried until they took the carrots away. But applesauce, non-milk food #2, went over like a charm.

My father always says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it," and I feel like my diet ain't broke. I like the foods I eat, I like the amount I eat, I like the frequency with which I eat. But I bet that my body would tell a different story...and therein lies the problem.

Breakfast, 9:30 a.m.


A can of mandarin oranges. I always drain the syrup.

Lunch, 12:30 p.m.

Leftovers from yesterday. (There's still a little pasta
left in the fridge.)

Snack, 6:45 p.m.


Fruit salad -- my grandma's "recipe"...to the extent
that there can be a recipe for fruit salad. It's a pint of
whipping cream, 1/4 cup of sugar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla
for the "whipped cream" part, and then lots of random
fruit. I used blueberries, strawberries, green apples,
pineapple, and bananas. My writers' group liked it.

Dinner, 8:30 p.m.

We always order in on writers' group night since we
meet at 6:30 and usually go until 10 or so. It works
out, because everyone gets to eat and the host doesn't
have to cook. This week, we opted for cheese steaks
from Milano's. I only ate a few fries, and about 2/3 of
the sandwich.

5 comments:

rakhi. said...

Sig I have the BEST recipe for fruit salad that is actually healthy and TOTALLY tastes rich and yummy. I will email it to you now.

rakhi. said...

Ok, and I'm giving you a healthy recipe that you will love since you like mexican food and have a slow cooker:

Go buy some of those low-fat frozen chicken breasts and stick 2 of them in the slow cooker with big chunks of half an onion (don't worry, you won't be eating these), taco seasoning of your choice, and about 3/4 cup water. This totally depends on how much water your slow cooker lets out during the day, so you might need to adjust this. In the end you want a little bit of broth covering the chicken...too much broth is better than too little.

You can also stick in any other flavorings that you want the chicken to taste like. I put in a small can of tomato sauce sometimes, for example. Another time I put in cider vinegar (yummy) and another time white wine (I prefer a dry white). The acid of these additions make the meat even more tender. Cook it on low or high depending how long you will be gone during the day. Because it's just two breasts which are pretty thin, it actually doesn't need to be cooked that long. Again this depends on your slow cooker. For mine I put in on low for 8-9 hours and this is more than enough. I also put in hot pepper, but you might not like that.

When you get home, shred the chicken, which is really easy. It will be super moist and cooked, so all you need to do is run a fork along the grain of the meat. The shredded chicken will soak up more of the delicious broth.

Now make your tacos/burritos! You can get low-fat/fat-free soft taco or burrito wraps...I'm not sure how healthy hard taco shells can be. Check out the labels. The hard part is *not* loading up the taco with cheese and sour cream, but I will let you rely on your own ambition. Definitely get low-fat sour cream (no fat tastes bad IMO), and you can get low-fat cheese that tastes good too.

If you're making a burrito, you can get canned refried beans/black beans/pinto beans that have NO fat to add to the burrito too. Canned beans are cheap, retain most of the crap that makes them healthy, and all you have to do it heat it up! I like the way the refried beans add some creaminess to the taco the way that sour cream does. Of course, rice is always nice to add to the mix, too. I also love cilantro...but now I'm making myself hungry. Just add what you like!

You can also freeze the chicken you make really easily and it will be just as delicious when you defrost it, so you can even make a huge batch and have even EASIER dinners down the road.

Anonymous said...

I have a great taco chicken recipe that is super easy. Get some chicken breast, salsa, low fat sour cream, tortilla chips, and cheese (the healthy kind). Throw the chicken in a stone (or pan) and then top with a scoop of salsa, sour cream, crunched up chips and cook at like 350 for 20 minutes, then top with shredded cheese and cook until it melts. Yummy! Not as healthy as Rock's recipe, but I know how much you love healthy :)

E said...

Congratulations, you're stubborn. Nobody cares. Shit or get off the pot.

And you're so different from the rest of us, who don't like fat, salt, and sugar. Wow, you really are a special snowflake.

Lauren said...

Hey! Fruit! (See Rock? :-P I have something to cheer her on about ..okay, so Sig's fruit comes from a can or is covered in fats and sugars, there are worse things in the world.)

I vote that recipes continue to be suggested in the comments. I could use fresh ideas regardless of whether Signe decides to stop whining and just choke down some damn vegetables already. Do any of you have experience with bok choi or kale?